Wednesday, February 9, 2005

sitcom frustration

i have a class with shari shaw on tuesday nights, ergo last night. it's a cold reading class for pilots; apt of course since it is pilot season. shari is excellent. and she's fairly well known for her expertise at the strange art of sitcom.
and her class is frustrating me to no end--in a good way.
see, really good sitcom work goes right against the grain of everything i've studied, learned, and taken to heart about not "showing" or "acting"--about being subtle, using the eyes, yadda yadda. i have never been so unable to grasp an acting style or concept and put it into action. not to say i don't get it, i do--completely. and my brain tells me exactly what's what and how it should be. but my body and voice are having a tough time letting go.
and shari keeps pushing me--because even though it's a pilot class, and we work both 1 hour and 1/2 hour, she's been giving me all sitcom stuff. which is part of the reason why i am so grateful to be in her class. what is class for, after all, if not to grow, push yourself, be challenged?
i must say, though, that after 4 weeks of working on sitcom material, i'd be okay with a week of heavy drama, my personal specialty. and i think she thinks so too, which makes me dig her even more. after all, a teacher who can "get" when you're at your breaking point or mired in frustration, and can help you work through it is completely invaluble. not to mention rare.


No comments: